

**Title of Session:** Festival 2005 Planning Meeting

**Moderator:** BJ Berquist

**Title of File:** 20050209fest05

**Date:** February 9, 2005

Room: TI Festival Group Room

**BjB:** shall we call the meeting to order or wait a couple more minutes?

**GailH:** We are here -- so I say go for it!

**BjB** nods to Gail.

**SandraS** sips green tea

**GailH** . o O ( might not be able to stay attentive the whole hour... )

**BjB:** looking at the calendar, I think we can set July 20 as our date

**BjB** . o O ( last year's was July 21 )

**BjB:** we always have it on a Wednesday....is this something we need to change?

**GailH:** I thought we learned Wednesdays were bad b/c of some maintenancs

**JeffC** joined the room.

**BjB** waves to Jeff...just in time

**DianneA** joined the room.

**DianneA** throws her hat in

**BjB:** we're discussing the date for Festival 2005

**BjB** hugs Dianne...welcome!

**DianneA:** watch the daisies - I have just been doing gardening duty

**DianneA:** sorry to be late

**BjB:** do we want to keep the festival on Wednesday?

**DianneA** no preference for me

**BjB** . o O ( if so, it would be July 20 )

**SandraS**: sounds good

**DianneA**: happy with July 20

**SandraS**: as long as we're done by 9

**BjB**: going once....

**GailH**: the maintenance issue late at night?

**SandraS**: if I remember correctly, the system shut down shortly before 9 last year

**BjB**: oh, good point, Gail...we had a problem with the last hour!

**BjB**: do we want to start earlier?

**GailH**: That is good from East time perspective -- in summer particularly, I think.

**MaryFT**: July 20 works for me: I'll be able to attend morning and evening but I teach in the afternoon

**SandraS**: finish by 8pm central?

**BjB**: if we start an hour earlier that will be 7-7 Pacific time

**BjB** nods to Sandy

**SandraS**: sounds good

**GailH**: fine with me.

**BjB** . o O ( and 10-10 EST )

**DianneA**: start and finish time makes little to no difference to me

**EmilyW**: I'll be right back, sorry

**BjB** nods to Dianne. Works for me too. I prefer ending earlier

**SandraS**: starting earlier might allow more folks from other time zones to participate

**BjB**: ok...date set at July 20

**BjB**: time is 7am to 7pm Pacific

**BjB:** now we need a theme

**BjB:** last year's theme was Celebrate Online Learning

**SandraS:** something with "creating"?

**DianneA:** how about connecting with cooperation?

**SandraS:** oooh, I like that too

**SandraS:** creative cooperation

**MaryFT:** creating connections through cooperation?

**GailH:** how about working in collaboration too

**BjB:** create collaboration?

**BjB:** we almost have it...

**BjB:** creating connections through collaboration

**GailH:** CCC

**MaryFT:** I like it

**GailH:** The 3 C's.

**DianneA:** love Mary's would like to talk with Gail about difference of cooperation and collaboration

**SandraS:** cooperative connective collaboration creationally...heheheh

**JeffC:** conundrum

**SandraS:** cool

**BjB** grins...ever the wordsmith, Sandy!

**SandraS** does drumroll on keyboard

**BjB:** by cooperating I think people can agree to disagree...

**BjB:** but by collaborating, people work together

**BjB:** it's more constructive

**BjB** . o O ( I'm making that up )

**DianneA:** in the agreement to disagree is the difference to leverage the creativity

**MaryFT:** collaboration seems to imply working toward the same or similar goals

**BjB** nods to Mary

**GailH:** Collaboration can be a method of achieving goals -- a means to do stuff cooperatively?

**DianneA** nods to Gail

**DianneA:** I am just riding a hobby horse temporarily, not wedded one way or the other, and the US usage might be different anyway

**MaryFT:** our motto at UH COE is "Collaboration for Learning and Leading" so I'm partial to Collaborating

**MaryFT** smiles

**SandraS:** cyber connections: creating collaboration at Tapped In

**DianneA:** oohh Sandy!

**MaryFT:** I like!

**DavidWe** joined the room.

**DavidWe** hugs Gail

**BjB:** welcome, David.

**DavidWe:** Oh, Bj. Nice to see you in Tapped In

**DavidWe** waves to all

**SandraS** waves to David

**GailH** waves to David.

**DavidWe** avoids the flying objects

**DianneA** waves to David

**BjB:** we've set the date for festival 2005 as July 20

**DavidWe** listens quietly

**BjB:** hours have been changed to 7-7 pacific

**BjB:** now we're discussing the theme

**DianneA:** with some extensions possible if there is international interest and engagement?

**BjB:** sure, we can be flexible...Gail had her early bird session last year

**BjB:** it was the later time that caused some problem

**DianneA:** I'd like to encourage some more pre- and post- groups activity

**SandraS:** ooh, that's a great idea, Dianne

**BjB:** because of the server maintenance

**DavidWe** promises to bring coffee/tea/hot chocolate to the early-bird session

**DianneA:** and do we consider some streaming this time too, and is the timetable system geared up for 'booking' /registrations for individual sessions?

**BjB:** the pre session tours really worked out well

**DianneA:** and if so do we nominate suggested maxima?

**DianneA:** I am still prepared to run pre-session T&T

**YingS** joined the room.

**BjB:** we could use the registration option on the calendar, I believe

**BjB:** . o O ( I've never tried it, but it might be a good idea...I'll check on that with Patti )

**BjB:** welcome to the group, Ying

**DianneA:** what I also had in mind was inviting groups to think about running a session, and doing work pre- and then making the most of newbies gathered at Festival and doing some key work post-, ie doing some planning about expansion

**YingS:** Thank you, BjB.

**SandraS** waves to Ying

**YingS:** Ying waves to everyone.

**DianneA:** Hello Ying

**BjB:** give me an example, please, Dianne

**DianneA:** well .. Sandra has run a session as Sandra ..

**DianneA:** Ok that can still happen

**DianneA:** but Sandra also owns a group ...

**BjB** nods

**DianneA:** can Sandra mobilize the group to run a session around a 'current' devised group topic before during and after the Festival

**DianneA:** using online chat and offline postings

**BjB:** how does that sound to you, Sandy?

**YingS:** Sorry since I missed the beginning, can someone let me know the discussion topic? Thanks a lot!

**BjB:** We're planning Tapped In festival 2005, Ying

**SandraS:** not sure I quite understand, but I think it sounds good

**SandraS:** let me try this out

**BjB:** the date is July 20

**SandraS:** so for instance the topic might be teaching writing across curriculum

**BjB:** the hours will be 7-7 pacific time

**BjB** listens to Sandy

**SandraS:** split topic up into at least three chunks

**SandraS:** one before fest, one during, one after

**EmilyW:** I am finally back

**SandraS:** to encourage newbies to return...

**SandraS:** not sure I've got what you're suggesting Dianne

**DianneA:** yes AND get some of your group members to be involved in the planning and the conduct/moderating

**SandraS:** got it

**SandraS:** that sounds really good

**BjB:** I like the part about engaging the group

**EmilyW:** is there a theme yet?

**DianneA:** I am involved in another online group that runs 'occasional' concentrated forums for about two weeks (offline of course) and which is intentional moderated. It works well

**BjB:** what is the theme we finally decided on?

**YingS:** Good question Emily.

**YingS:** Did someone just mentioned about teaching writing across curriculum?

**EmilyW:** I just came back the chat so I was wondering what I missed

**GailH:** Is the goal of having the Festival to attract new people or to engage those who participate at least sometimes? Or something else? I realize we could say "both" -- but maybe we need to think about whether the goal could be different for different events.

**DianneA:** cyber xx: creating yy for Tapped in (and perhaps through in a fifth C= community to begin to move from the 3-4-5 triangle-square-pentagon!->circle

**GailH** loves the math!

**SandraS:** "creating connections through collaboration"

**SandraS:** "cyber connections: creating collaboration at Tapped In"

**BjB:** thanks, Sandy...I was going through the pasteboard, but you're faster!

**EmilyW:** I like the first one

**GailH:** Creating Connections through Collaboration is more concise.

**EmilyW:** right

**DianneA:** another C! Gail

**GailH:** Clever, huh?

**BjB:** you have a good point, Gail about the purpose of the festival

**BjB:** over the past few years it's been more of an intro to TI

**BjB:** but I think that we may need to adjust our focus after last year!

**DianneA:** One of my ideas from last year's round, with the three strands is to start to design for multiple purposes

**DianneA:** so we can have an introducing strand for newbies

**DianneA:** a developing strand for members and revisiting

**YingS:** What is the strand for newbies?

**DianneA:** and the deep professional for the deep professionals!

**GailH:** o O ( How many of those who came to a Festival event ever returned? I wonder.... )

**MaryFT:** I like the strands idea Dianne

**DianneA:** Strand for new members would be designed to showcase what we can do in Tapped In, and to allow our excellent presenters to do a showcase piece

**SandraS:** good question, Gail

**BjB:** does this mean that there could be three events taking place at the same time, one for each strand?

**EmilyW:** what are the strands?

**YingS:** It may be a good idea to have three events, or three sections that fit different people.

**DianneA:** Can we poll current members through MeetMe? or the other polling device for volunteering/donations?-- does anyone know how that has gone by the way?

**DianneA:** Yes BJ, more work for the Reception Helpdesk



**DianneA:** it doesn't necessarily require three sessions each hour

**DianneA:** we could stagger some in a two hourly cycle

**SandraS:** right, just requires moderator designating session

**EmilyW:** what are the strands?

**DianneA:** eg the professional to allow the discussion to deepen

**GailH:** I wonder if putting all the new members in a strand wouldn't give them a wrong or negative impression -- b/c none would know how things go...

**SandraS:** Emily, the strands are 1) newbies 2) returning Tappies

**BjB:** then strands are sessions for newbies, reg participants, and experienced users who want more depth

**SandraS:** trying to figure out more of purpose of festival

**EmilyW:** ok

**EmilyW:** what would the polling do?

**DianneA:** good point Gail, again we would need to 'staff' those sessions with helpdesk volunteers geared up to help at that level

**GailH:** I think those are our various audiences, and that...

**GailH:** the strands are like learning about TI and

**GailH:** learning about collaboration and

**GailH:** something or other else.

**BjB:** determine if we would have those audiences, Emily

**EmilyW:** ok that is what I thought

**SandraS:** but if we did as Dianne suggested...nest the Festival discussion in between pre  
\* post discussion....maybe not as much need to determine level of audience?

**YingS:** What will be strands for experienced TI people?

**DianneA:** Good point Sandy

**BjB** agrees with Sandy. The Festival would still be the same schedule....

**BjB**: before the festival would be discussions for newbies

**EmilyW**: could there also be a poll to determine what audiences are interested in for events?

**BjB**: and after the festival would be discussions that go into depth?

**DianneA**: that would be easier BJ ...

**SandraS**: no one has given an example of an experienced-TI-people strand, Ying

**DianneA**: but not quite what I had in mind

**BjB**: what we have done in the past, Emily, is invite anyone who wants to, to submit a session

**DianneA**: Last year we were starting to experience difficulties with the sizes of the groups at some times

**BjB**: that applies to the theme

**SandraS**: right, size was a huge factor

**DavidWe** listens AND eats dinner at the same time

**EmilyW**: oh ok

**SandraS** applauds David's multitasking

**SandraS**: any thoughts that came up from evaluations?

**GailH**: Last year, with my 56, I formed groups by month of birth and had then do independent stuff and share. Large groups are not necessarily all bad.

**BjB**: we now have the registration feature, but I've not used it, Sandy

**DianneA**: I wasn't suggesting experienced TI people strand, I was suggesting in-depth professional discussion strand for those already proficient with TI and online chats and interested in a moderated chat rather than a presentation - much harder on the moderator of course

**DianneA**: Good one Gail!

**DianneA:** agree entirely

**SandraS:** that makes sense, Dianne

**BjB** agrees with Gail, but one hour can be pretty short when you have to juggle newbies

**DianneA:** so presenters need to be forewarned and consider presentation design!

**KarenConna** joined the room.

**SandraS:** I know last year that one comment said I didn't get through all my material

**BjB** waves hi to Karen

**KarenConna** waves

**SandraS:** so I was caught between presenting and trying to facilitate conversation

**KarenConna:** sorry just got the email about tonight's meeting

**DianneA:** we did arrange locations last year so the one hour could 'spill' without impacting on the 'following' event, which was in another location

**BjB:** yes, we did do that, Dianne

**YingS:** What will be the format of the Festival? Same as today's chat-format?

**BjB:** Karen, I'll send you a copy of the transcript

**KarenConna** thanks **BjB**

**DianneA:** we can advertise the 'difference' between 'presentation' and 'moderated engagement', and the implications - like coming to the pre-festival T&T to brush up on TI interface skills

**SandraS:** Ying, the festival is basically a day-long series of group chats in various rooms

**BjB:** if you've never participated in the festival, go to [www.tappedin.org/transcripts](http://www.tappedin.org/transcripts) and look through the archived scripts from past festivals

**SandraS:** that sounds good, Dianne

**YingS:** Yah, this is why we need a section for newbies, like me.

**SandraS** thinks Ying won't be a newbie long

**DianneA** nods to Ying, newbies work is our lifeblood

**BjB** smiles.

**DianneA:** handing over skills and responsibilities like a 'group-based activity' with also develop some more engagement and expand helpdesk potentials

**EmilyW:** ying, I am new here too

**BjB:** at this point our networking is the top priority...

**DianneA:** Welcome Emily and Karen also?

**KarenConna:** New to this group, but not TI

**BjB:** and we need input from newbies as well as experienced festival planners

**DianneA:** can you elaborate BJ, please?

**KarenConna:** agrees about networking

**BjB:** we have just generated a transcript with lots of ideas...

**GailH** wants BJ to elaborate.

**EmilyW:** what do you mean about networking? (networking for what)

**BjB:** we need to edit the script, pull out the main ideas...and then start building on them.

**BjB:** spreading the word about the theme

**BjB:** spreading the word about groups leading events

**BjB:** networking = collaboration

**DianneA:** do we have a database of group owners BJ?

**MaryFT:** when will the call go out for presentation proposals?

**KarenConna:** willing to help in anyway that I can

**BjB** laughs...yes, Dianne. There are almost 700 groups plus 150 student groups

**BjB:** I can include a blurb in the Feb newsletter...very brief

**EmilyW:** how many of these groups are active though?

**DianneA:** I am happy to roster the Helpdesk responsibilities as per last time unless someone wants to also learn how to do that, in which case I'll share with them how I have done it in the past

**BjB:** last year I think we had to turn down some presenters because we were filled up

**DianneA:** another reason to think seriously about stranding Bj

**GailH:** Maybe allowing more presentations at same time would solve problem of too many people in one room.

**BjB** agrees with Gail, but it adds greatly to all the other problems

**SandraS** nods

**BjB** . o O ( more helpdesk, more transcripts to edit )

**DianneA:** It really tests out our Helpdesk team and team work

**MaryFT:** I will help with both/either

**BjB** nods. We not only need people to greet in reception, but also moderate the events

**KarenConna:** I'm willing to learn

**DianneA:** Great Karen and Mary

**BjB:** Karen, this is where your input will be especially valuable for CEUs...

**KarenConna:** Okay

**BjB:** the festival issues certificates of participation for anyone who registers and participates in three events

**KarenConna:** I've started putting the seeds out at the IU

**DianneA:** Karen and CEU's? can we start to run that as an offline discussion here in Festival?

**BjB:** one of the events last year was participation in a pre-festival tour

**BjB** nods to Dianne

**BjB:** I'd like to start a thread on the discussion list about strands, Dianne.

**DianneA:** I'd be happy to work with the certification process to add in collecting reflections as part of the certification deal

**BjB:** I'm not sure I totally understand....and is this going to extend the festival?

**DianneA:** like a portfolio

**BjB:** . o O ( we were exhausted last year after the things we did! )

**DianneA:** gets the participant to be there more than just logging in for 'virtual presence' and CEU credit

**BjB:** we can plan on having a panel discussion or two

**BjB:** . o O ( as the in depth events )

**EmilyW** left the room (signed off).

**DianneA:** point taken BJ

**BjB:** with enough people...and I'm thrilled that you all are here for this planning meeting!!!!!!

**DianneA:** let's develop that in the offline discussion area, with Karen and others interested

**BjB:** perhaps we can expand ...yes, good idea

**KarenConna:** good idea Dianne

**DianneA:** I see a portfolio being essentially self-evaluation, we just get the mechanism to capture and sign-off on engagement

**BjB:** ok, so what we've resolved is the date: July 20

**DianneA:** if there is the energy to take it further then we can consider that then

**DianneA:** but we also need to remember what we do this time as setting a precedent for future Festivals

**BjB:** do we have enough to get us started? When do you want to meet again?

**BjB:** is this time good for you all?

**MaryFT:** same bat time...

**DianneA:** same time next month with offline discussion in between

**SandraS:** LOL, Mary

**MaryFT** smiles

**DianneA:** sorry ... this is a good time for me!

**BjB:** two weeks? February 24?

**SandraS:** sounds good BJ

**DianneA:** Ok by me BJ

**BjB:** oops...that's a Thursday...is that ok?

**SandraS:** that's ok

**KarenConna:** At 7 on Thursday the 24th?

**BjB** nods to Karen

**MaryFT:** the 24th works for me

**GailH:** works for me, I think...

**KarenConna:** that's good for me until 8 then i have class on TI

**BjB:** The Social Studies forum is about to start so I have to run.

**DianneA:** Thanks BJ for getting us under way

**GailH:** Thanks BJ.

**BjB:** I'll edit the script and post a summary

**MaryFT:** Good planning everyone!

**KarenConna:** thanks BJ

**BjB** hugs goodnight and heads for the ASO

**SandraS:** bye everybody!

**GailH:** Watch BJ run!

**MaryFT**: see you all next time

**BjB** left the room.